SAF-T Program® Funding Opportunities
AKC Humane Fund has grant opportunities for domestic violence shelters to obtain funding for on-site and off-site housing of pets.
American Veterinary Medical Foundation has veterinary cost reimbursement for pets of domestic violence
Banfield Foundation Safer Together Grants provides help for vulnerable populations (including domestic violence victims) to keep their pets.
Federal Pet Shelter and Housing Assistance Grant (PAWS Act Funding) – applications due May 29, 2020
Greater Good Foundation – Rescue Rebuild can help a domestic violence build a SAF-T shelter.
Purple Leash Project from Purina
Red Rover Safe Escape grants may be provided for veterinary care and temporary boarding of pets.
RedRover Safe Housing grants are available to help shelter’s fund start-up costs for on-site pet housing projects.
US Department of Agriculture Community Facilities Direct Loan & Grant Program provides funds to facilities providing essential services (such as DV housing) to local communities serving populations under 5,500 and low-income communities.
The Waggle Foundation is partnering with the SAF-T Program to create a matching fund for domestic shelters needing veterinary funds. If your shelter needs to do crowd funding to help with a veterinary medical bill, you can create your own account with Waggle to get started. This Fund will be forthcoming in 2020!
Other Successful Fundraising Ideas:
Shelters that collaborate with their local community have better results in sustaining their SAF-T Program. Consider these fundraising ideas to help you implement and sustain your SAF-T program:
- Join with your partner animal shelter and/or animal rescue organization to host a joint fundraiser.
- Ask local school classrooms and youth community groups to “adopt” your SAF-T program and help with supply drives and raising funds.
- Speak at local churches and community organizations about SAF-T and ask for their help with a supply drive or raising donations.
- Reach to your local Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, and Zonta Clubs to speak about your program.
- Ask your local pet food store to place a canister near the front door to accept food and pet supply donations.
- Ask your partner veterinarian to place a donation canister in their clinic.
- Place donation canisters in stores around your community.
- Place small trees in stores around your community with paper ornaments that list an item that your SAF-T program needs. Supporters will take the ornament and purchase the item.
And many more ideas SAF-T Funding Opportunities are listed in the SAF-T Start-Up Manual.